Saturday, July 14, 2012

Recent Recipes

One good, one bad...

Good) Homemade peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars:  I saw some people on Pinterest or somewhere talking about making granola bars and thought that sounded like something I could handle.  These I make and keep in the freezer and just eat them right out of the freezer...I really like cold chocolate chips.  The recipe makes 12 small bars.  They're just enough that I can eat one right before running and have some sugar and protein in me but not feel sick while running.  I substitute applesauce for the coconut oil and leave out the wheat germ.  I tried one of the other granola bar recipes on this blog and it was a MAJOR bust, so now I've been nervous try other kinds besides these since I like them so much.  I'm kind of a peanut butter and chocolate addict...

Bad) Honey garlic chicken thighs: Aldi has chicken thighs on sale so I thought that I would buy some and try them out.  I normally just buy chicken breasts, but decided to live on the wild (i.e. cheap) side.  I googled "slow cooker chicken thighs" and this is what came up and seemed easy and sounded good.  Now I'll admit, it says to cook it for just 6 hours and I did more like 8...but it just came out kind of burned.  The sauce was pretty much black.  Not real appetizing...but we all still ate it, Shom even took the leftovers home.  I think the flavors have potential, but maybe just not this cooking method.

2 comments:

  1. you can't give a bad review of something you burned! overcooked crock pot food is terrible even if the recipe is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I felt like the recipe was flawed...it smelled burned when I got home from work which hadn't really been longer than the recipe said, so by dinner time we were really in trouble even though I turned down the crock pot. I think it might be better baked, but this particular recipe I don't think works in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete