Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Virtual Bookshelf

(I know that normally in the summer, I actually post here...that just hasn't happened.  We'll see if we can post a few things before summer runs out on me!)

One of my goals for this year, kind of a quasi-New Year's resolution, was to read more.  I feel like sometimes I don't have a very good vocabulary and tend to just read books that take no mental effort, so it seemed time to put in some effort.  Two things have really helped with that - two of my friends agreed to read some books with me in our own little mini book club and Brad gave me a kindle for Christmas.  So since December, here's what I've been reading (in no particular order):

-Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
-Dracula (Bram Stoker)
-The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
-The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
-The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
-The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
-The Sign of the Four (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
-The Black Tulip (Alexander Dumas)
-The Adventure of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
-The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
-Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
-The Scarlet Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
-A Town Like Alice (Nevil Shute)
-Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls)
-Crazy Love (Francis Chan)
-The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
-Chasing Mona Lisa (Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey)
-Shadow in Serenity (Terri Blackstock)
-An Eye for an Eye (Irene Hannon)

Except for the last few, most of these were even "real books"...you know, without an FBI agent love story in there somewhere.  I have enjoyed most of them - I'd put The Scarlet Letter as my least favorite.  Favorites were probably A Town Like Alice and The Help, at least those were the ones I couldn't put down :)  I like being able to get a new book anytime with the kindle, and most of these that I read on my kindle were free.  I still like paperbacks, and five of these I read as real books instead of digital.  This is definitely way more books than I normally would have read by this point in the year, so I'm up for suggestions if you have any favorites...especially if they are free on kindle!

No comments:

Post a Comment