Saturday, August 13, 2011

Salsa Verde

Pretty much the whole reason that I wanted a garden was so that I could grow some salsa ingredients. I LOVE salsa verde and I find that here in central Illinois it can be pretty hard to find the fresh ingredients. The East Peoria Walmart usually has tomatillos, but sometimes they look like they've been there for a really, really long time. And I love to roast poblano peppers, but they are frequently all wrinkly at the store. So those were the two main things that I wanted to grow.
We've been getting peppers for about a month now from the garden and this week the first tomatillos were ready. Earlier this week I harvested four anaheim peppers, five jalapenos, and five tomatillos. One of the tomatillos was all buggy, but I figured with four I could make a little batch of salsa.
I was roughly going off of a recipe I've used before from my Rick Bayless cookbook, so this morning I roasted my tomatillos and garlic in the skillet. Chopped up an anaheim pepper and threw all of that in the food chopper. I added a little water, salt, and lime juice. And it was so yummy :) It had really good flavor, but really was not spicy at all, so I ended up adding one jalapeno as well. And that seems just right. It only made like a cup of salsa, but I was still pretty excited. I didn't have any fresh white onion or cilantro, but I figured I could add those later.
This salsa is great with chips and on tacos, and I thought I might try using it as a sauce on some baked chicken. In the next few weeks there are going to be a lot more tomatillos, so I'm going to try making this and freezing it. I found a recipe where they did all of the roasting whole in the oven, so I think that would make it easier for a big batch.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on growing your own fresh ingredients.
    Have you ever been to fresh market to check out what they have for ingredients?
    I have never been there, so this is just a shot in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been their, either. They probably do have a better selection that the Pekin and East Peoria stores. I just don't cross the river very much :) So just walking out to the barn is way more convenient!

    ReplyDelete