Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: The Time Traveler's Wife

I picked this up for $1 earlier this summer at a garage sale, mostly because I knew they had made a movie out of this book and I thought, well if they made a movie out of it then it must be good :) I started reading it and was super not into it at first - the beginning is kind of confusing as you are trying to figure out what is going on with all the time traveling, especially when Henry is meeting up with himself at different times. Mostly due to a lack of any other books to read, I kept going (taking a short break to read a dog book in the middle - dog book always trumps time traveling romance book). In the end it was okay - a little more sex then I like in my books, but I'm kind of spoiled by my dog books and christian romantic suspense books on that one.
After reading it, I convinced Brad to download the movie so that we could watch that. Well the book is definitely better than the movie. The movie was pretty slow with some pretty terrible acting - I think if I hadn't already known what was going on from the book it would have been kind of confusing as well. Brad watched the whole thing, though I'm pretty sure he hated it.
All in all, I'd give the book one thumb up and the movie two thumbs down. The book has some pretty sad and depressing parts, as well as being confusing at the beginning, but it is interesting both in subject matter and the way that it is written (it switches back and forth between Henry narrating and Claire narrating). The book gave you dates with years at the beginning of each new section, which the movie could have used as well. Not too bad for $1.

No comments:

Post a Comment