Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mid-Summer Garden Update

Well it has been almost two months since we got our garden in the ground, and I am deeming our first attempt at a garden a success! So far we have enjoyed spinach and lots of romaine lettuce, which has been great since we always have salad every day. We have had one jalapeno which I threw into some Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup on Tuesday (yes, that's right, it's like a 100 degrees and I'm serving soup for dinner...it seemed like it would go well with all this salad). Tonight a picked an Anaheim pepper and chopped it up and put it in with the shredded chicken in the crock pot for some chicken tacos here shortly.
There appear to be about 5 blackberries that are almost ready, which for the first year I was shocked that we had any. There are definitely some tomatillos going out there. Apparently they sent out their husk as a big puff first and then the tomatillo grows inside of there. Right now they just look like green puffs. There are maybe 8 gourds going...some green ones and some white ones in a couple different shapes. I'm pretty excited about the fall with all of the dried hydrangeas and sweet annie and fun gourds. Maybe if this teaching thing doesn't work out someday I can just have a roadside stand selling all of my home grown fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment